Dental implants are a popular and effective teeth replacement solution. If you are planning to get dental implants in Etobicoke, you likely have many questions about the procedure, cost, and maintenance.
Here are some of the most frequently asked questions about dental implants in Etobicoke.
- What are dental implants?
Dental implants are artificial tooth roots implanted into the jawbone to support a replacement tooth or bridge, restoring the function and appearance of missing teeth. They are typically made of titanium or other materials that are compatible with the body.
Benefits of getting dental implants in Etobicoke include:
- Improved appearance
- Improved speech
- Easier eating
- Better oral health
- Durability and longevity
Types of dental implants:
- Endosteal implants – They are implanted directly into the jawbone
- Subperiosteal implants – These dental implants are placed on the top surface of the jawbone
- Am I a good candidate for dental implants?
Unfortunately, dental implants are not an ideal solution for everyone. Factors that may affect candidacy include:
- Sufficient bone density – Dental implants require a certain amount of bone density for successful placement
- Good oral health – If you experience symptoms of gum disease or other oral health issues, they must be treated before dental implant placement
- Good overall health – If you have certain medical conditions or take certain medications, they may affect your candidacy for dental implants
If you are considering dental implants, your Etobicoke dentist will evaluate your oral and overall health to determine if you are a good candidate.
- How long does the dental implant procedure take?
It usually takes several months to complete a dental implant procedure. The length of time for each step varies depending on the individual case, but the general timeline is as follows:
- Initial consultation – Your dentist will evaluate your oral health and discuss your treatment options. This step typically takes 1-2 hours.
- Implant placement – The implant(s) are surgically placed into the jawbone. This step typically takes 1-2 hours.
- Healing and osseointegration – The implant(s) must fuse with the jawbone before the replacement tooth or bridge can be attached. This step typically takes 3-6 months.
- Attachment of the replacement tooth or bridge – This step typically takes 1-2 hours.
- How much do dental implants cost?
The cost of dental implants in Etobicoke varies depending on several factors, including:
- The number of implants needed
- The materials used
- The complexity of the case
- Your geographic location
The best way to determine the cost of dental implant treatment is by booking a consultation at Dr. Mark Rhody Dentistry.
- What are the best ways to take care of and maintain my dental implants
Proper care of your dental implants is essential for their long-term success.
- Brush and floss regularly – Dental implants are like natural teeth that require routine brushing and flossing to ensure cleanliness.
- Avoid hard or sticky foods – These can damage your dental implants or cause them to come loose.
- Regular Dental Visit – Getting regular dental check-ups and cleanings is essential for maintaining your oral health and ensuring the longevity of your dental implants.
- What are the potential risks and complications of getting dental implants?
Like any other surgical procedure, dental implants come with potential risks and complications. These may include:
- Nerve damage
- Implant failure
- Sinus problems (for upper jaw implants)
However, the risks and complications associated with dental implants are relatively low. Your Etobicoke dentist will discuss the potential risks with you before the procedure and provide tips for preventing and managing these risks.
To prevent infection, it is important to maintain good oral hygiene and follow your dentist’s post-operative instructions. If you experience any symptoms of infection, such as swelling, redness, or fever, contact your dentist right away.
Nerve damage is rare, but it can occur if the implant is placed too close to a nerve. Your dentist will take special care to avoid this during the procedure.
Implant failure is also rare, but it can occur if the implant does not fuse properly with the jawbone. To prevent implant failure, it is important to follow your dentist’s post-operative instructions and avoid smoking or using tobacco products.
Sinus problems can occur if the implant is placed too close to the sinus cavity in the upper jaw. Your dentist will take special care to avoid this during the procedure.
Replacing missing teeth with dental implants is a highly effective solution. If you are considering dental implants in Etobicoke, it is important to choose an experienced and qualified dentist who can answer your questions and guide you through the process.
At Dr. Mark Rhody Dentistry, we are committed to providing our patients with the highest quality dental care. Our dental practice provides a variety of services, such as dental implants, and we prioritize attentive listening to address any concerns or questions you may have.
If you are interested in dental implants or would like to schedule a consultation, please contact us today at (416) 231-4281 or fill out our contact us form. Our team is looking forward to assisting you in achieving a beautiful and healthy smile.